Episode 46: ‘The Big Picture’ – Meet the Young People Rewilding Scotland
Let me take you on a journey to learn about Scotland’s natural wilderness and how we can restore it for the benefit of all.
‘The Big Picture’ is an episode about rewilding Scotland. You’ll learn about Scotland’s diverse landscapes and species, what threatens them and how they can be restored. We’ll visit two rewilding sites in central Scotland where local communities come together to restore habitats and reintroduce species to benefit all: nature, the climate and us, the people.
You’ll also meet two young people who are actively working on rewilding Scotland as part of SCOTLAND: The Big Picture’s NextGen programme: Joe McLellan and Jura MacMillan.
Hopefully, by the end of it, you’ll feel inspired to join Scotland’s rewilding movement. You’ll find lots of tips below!
This episode at a glance:
- Learn about SCOTLAND: The Big Picture and its NextGen programme
- See the magnificent birds of prey at Argaty Red Kites
- Walk around an ancient peat bog that is being restored at Leadburn Community Woodland
- And hear from young rewilders Joe McLellan and Jura MacMillan
Are you ready? Great – let’s travel to Scotland!
This episode is sponsored by SCOTLAND: The Big Picture, a charity working to drive the recovery of nature across Scotland through rewilding, in response to the growing climate and biodiversity crises. Their vision is of a vast network of rewilded land and water across Scotland, where wildlife flourishes and people thrive.
This partnership was made possible with The National Lottery Heritage Fund, with thanks to National Lottery players.
Scottish Rewilding Organisations to support
- SCOTLAND: The Big Picture
- Alliance for Scotland’s Rainforests
- The Scottish Rewilding Alliance
- Trees for Life
A wee disclaimer: These are just a few of the films, books and resources out there. If you have any other recommendations, share them in the comments below this post!
Rewild yourself with SCOTLAND: The Big Picture’s ebook MeWilding: Rewild Your Life!
Great films to watch about rewilding in Scotland, the UK & beyond
- Riverwoods: A Salmon’s Journey: A documentary film about Scottish salmon populations and river restoration by SCOTLAND: The Big Picture. You can watch it for free with ads on Channel 5.
- Wild Isles: A new BBC One series about the wonderful wildlife in the UK, narrated by David Attenborough. You can watch it on BBCiPlayer.
- Our Planet: A documentary series about global wildlife and how its impacted by the climate crisis, also narrated by David Attenborough. You can watch it on Netflix.
Books about nature and wildlife with a rewilding angle
- Regeneration: The Rescue of a Wild Land by Andrew Painting
- Bringing Back the Beaver by Derek Gow
- Tracking the Highland Tiger by Marianne Taylor
- Soil and Soul by Alastair McIntosh
- Fen, Bog & Swamp by Annie Proulx
- The Last Sunset in the West by Natalie Sanders
Nature and rewilding podcasts to listen to:
- The Rewild Podcast by James Shooter
- 1,000 Better Stories by the Scottish Communities Climate Action Network
- CliMates (100 conversations about Climate Change) by Hazel Darwin-Clements
- Edge of the Hedge by Hannah Sylvester
- Nature News from RSPB Scotland
- Ologies with Alie Ward – for example: Bryology (Moss), Dendrology (Trees), Oceanology, Conservation Technology
- Out There by Willow Belden
- Radio Lento for all your nature sound needs